"so that all the peoples of the earth may know that the hand of the LORD is mighty, that you may fear the LORD your God forever” ~Joshua 4:24

Sunday, September 2, 2012

the triathlon

Today I begin training for the Monster Triathlon on October 28. 

And the story behind this non-athlete signing up for such an athletic event is quite comical. Yes, everyone I've told so far has laughed at me. That's fine... just adds fuel to my fire!

Here's how it all went down:

Husband had his first softball game last Monday night. (He's playing on a league from our church.) Now I am perfectly content sitting on the bleachers, not talking to anyone. Being social with strangers is so far outside of my comfort zone that it takes a miracle to actually happen. This bugs Husband to no end. He purposely signed up for the men's team (rather than co-ed) so I could make friends with "the wives." 

The game began with me sitting on the far edge of the bleachers, my back to everyone else. It was a late game, starting at 9:00, on the first day of school.  There weren't too many people there and I'm assuming the mommies were putting their children to bed.  About twenty minutes into the game, I had finally convinced myself to talk to one person, solely to appease my husband.

On the opposite side of the bench was a girl who looked my age. She had the most beautiful dog with her and I can always stir up a conversation about dogs. So I scooted down and began my interview. I asked her how old her puppy was, what breed, name, male or female, what she does for a living, etc.

She then asked if I do anything athletic.  The conversation continued like so:

me: I cycle and sometimes run, but that's pretty much it. I work out but don't do team sports.
Kandia: That's cool. I just signed up for a triathlon.
me: Wow! That's intense.
Kandia: Well it's only a sprint triathlon, so the distances are shorter. Plus, the swimming portion is in a natatorium so you won't be in open water.
me: That actually sounds amazing! What are the distances?
Kandia:  Swim 300 meters, bike 12 miles, run a 5k.
me: That actually sounds doable. And I've got two months to train! Hmmm... where do I sign up?

And that was that.

I've been looking for something to keep my mind off of fertility, but also a way to focus my thoughts on the Lord.  Nothing stirs my affections for Him more than being outdoors. And I've always run/cycled without any music so that I could spend the time in prayer and worship.

Another plus is this will encourage me to start eating paleo again. I can't complete a triathlon on a diet of carbs and sugar (which unfortunately has been my sustenance during the past three weeks of torment).

I'm so excited to challenge myself and conquer this next goal.

It's amazing what the Lord can do when you step outside of your comfort zone.  I'm blown away, every time.

"Let us run with endurance the race that is set before us." Hebrews 12:1b

humbled by His faithfulness and love,
sarah jane


No comments:

Post a Comment