"so that all the peoples of the earth may know that the hand of the LORD is mighty, that you may fear the LORD your God forever” ~Joshua 4:24

Sunday, September 16, 2012

shiloh

This last Tuesday I went to my first infertility Bible study meeting.  I got the approval from our church to start an infertility ministry, but not until 2013.  At first I was bummed that I couldn't start immediately. But the Lord was very quick to show me that just because He gave the "okay" doesn't mean I'm fully ready. We have a lot of work to do!

I decided (with Husband's approval) to attend this Bible study even though it is so far from where we live. If I'm going to lead it, I want to have gone through it. The leader is absolutely amazing! She is so genuine, such a beautiful example of Christ.  She opens up her home each week and leads ten girls through a curriculum written by Julie Fowler.  Being a former IFer herself (she struggled with it for eight years and then was blessed with triplet girls!), she truly understands where we're coming from but also has wisdom beyond her years now that she is on the other side. I am so encouraged and inspired by her example. 

The are no family pictures in the room we meet in, to ease our pain and help us feel safe. She said her entire family is supportive of her leading this group. Her daughters (now in college) are honored that their story is able to comfort and encouraged so many women. I'm blown away at how many ways God has used her infertility to bless everyone in the family, as well as anyone who enters their home. It's beautiful.

During our meeting, she mentioned the song "I Hope You Dance" by Lee Ann Womack.  If you haven't heard this song, you must google it ASAP!  It was our theme song when I was on the drill team in high school, and now it will hold an even dearer place in my heart.

Instead of sitting out, she encouraged us to learn to "dance" through this season. God has purposely put me here for many reasons. And He has much for me to accomplish during this time. I pray that as I work my way through this study (no matter how many tears I shed or how much pain I feel) God will draw me closer to Him and that I would accomplish all He has for me in this season.

The name of the study is "Shiloh" which means a place of rest. This is a quote from the writer's introduction:
"While I had struggled with sitting out and missing out, God was calling me to 'rest' instead. He was asking me to join Him in the plans He had for me and to rest in His love, goodness, and sovereignty. I was being asked to present my desires to Him and then surrender and trust in His perfect plan. Would I believe that He is in control? Would I believe that He is good?"
It's so good to be going through a study geared specifically for what I'm going through. I've done many other studies, and completed them with infertility in mind.  This one is just different. A good different.

Each week we have to memorize a verse. I chose two for this week. One as a reminder for me wanting to start a ministry, and the other is for me personally. 

2 Corinthians 1:3-4
"Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our affliction, so that we may be able to comfort those who are in any affliction, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God."

1 Peter 1:6-7
"In this you rejoice, though now for a little while, if necessary, you have been grieved by various trials, so that the tested genuineness of your faith—more precious than gold that perishes though it is tested by fire—may be found to result in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ."


humbled by His faithfulness and love,
sarah jane

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you are able to be a part of this study! It sounds like it will be an amazing way to connect with other women who are going through something similar and also to learn more about how God is working in this area of your life! I hope He continues to bless your time with this group!

    ReplyDelete