"so that all the peoples of the earth may know that the hand of the LORD is mighty, that you may fear the LORD your God forever” ~Joshua 4:24

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

my motto

Over the past two years I have been encouraged, both by my work and our church, to write a personal statement.  A motto.  But I never knew where to start and never felt eloquent enough to put my convictions into words that could be displayed.

During my quiet time tonight, I felt the Lord push me to write down my priorities.  My mind lately has constantly been preoccupied with baby related things. I have found myself literally wanting to beg and plead with the Lord for children.  I need something to replace these thoughts with.

I'm studying the book of Jonah using Priscilla Shirer's Bible study Navigating a Life Interrupted.  In closing today's work, she asked me to meditate on what it would mean to engage fully in His calling. 

His calling.

Not my calling.

I feel like I try so incredibly hard to make my will sound like His will when I pray.  So I asked my stepmom how to pray without sounding controlling and indecisive. My prayers have had a tendency to go like so:

"Lord if it's Your will, I'd like to get pregnant this month. But if it's not Your will, I know You have something better and I trust in You and Your perfect timing. But please God, let this be our month!"

She gave me an example of how a speaker makes a motion, but someone must second it before it can be voted on.  God wants us to partner with Him in executing His will.  My prayers should go more like so:

"Lord I know You have a perfect plan for me, and I ask that You would help me do my part in executing Your will."

As I began to think about what I know His will is for me right now, I realized I am worthless to Him if I am discontent and constantly dwelling on my own desires and will for my life.  When I surrendered to Him, these priorities quickly came to mind, and I believe I've accidentally found my motto.

Every day, I will strive to:
1. be a vessel fit for His use by spending time in His Word, knowing Him more, and obeying His calling
2. be a wife that prays without ceasing and allows my husband to be the spiritual leader in our home
3. be a teacher that loves on her students, instills self-esteem, and individualizes work plans so they will succeed
4. maintain my body as a temple of the Holy Spirit by eating clean and working out

I am committing to yielding to Him and His purposes even when they don't make sense. 


humbled by His faithfulness and love,
sarah jane


and P.S.  I am hoping (anxiously expecting a miracle, as Beth Moore would say) that someday I can add a number five to my list...

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE your motto, I think it's beautiful and is very honoring to yourself, your husband and God. Sometimes it is so hard to look past ourselves when praying for something we so desperately want, I know how hard that is! I'm doing Priscilla's Jonah study as well right now! Although I'm only starting the second week, I can absolutely tell it's going to teach me big things about moving over and making room for God's interventions. Blessings Sarah Jane!

    ReplyDelete