"so that all the peoples of the earth may know that the hand of the LORD is mighty, that you may fear the LORD your God forever” ~Joshua 4:24

Monday, August 6, 2012

merchant ships

This weekend I traveled to six different markets/grocery stores to buy food for the week.  While I was frustrated at the wasted time and gas, I was reminded of this verse:

"She is like the merchant ships, bringing her food from afar."  Proverbs 31 :14

A wise woman once told me this verse might mean going to multiple places to look for good deals and the cheapest prices.  This time around however, it was also to buy the menagerie of foods needed to eat Paleo. 

On Saturday, I drove to the Coppell Farmer's Market to buy grass-fed beef and pastured pork.  I mainly went to buy specifically from Rehoboth Ranch.  I have fallen in love with this family and what they stand for. Every member works out on the ranch in one way or another. The young ones gather eggs, the older ones actually sell meat at farmer's markets around the area.  They have farm tours and even have a potluck dinner for their regular customers who buy in bulk. Their meat is amazing and full of so much flavor. People have asked if I can tell a difference between grass-fed and "regular."  I couldn't tell a difference from grass-fed meats bought at the grocery store. But there is definitely a difference when you buy fresh!

On the way home, I stopped by The Cupboard to get Coconut Aminos (a soy sauce replacement). I called so many stores in our area, and this in the only place that carries it! But while I was there, I found almond butter on sale, so that was definitely a blessing!

Husband had to work Sunday morning, so I had him go to Natural Grocers.  He found this store and said it's like a mini Whole Foods. Good thing he found it because it's a block from my school and Whole Foods is not on my way home. They had tomato products in glass jars. I read an article months ago that said canned tomatoes are one of the worst things you can eat, PLUS they can cause fertility problems. Even after reading the article, I didn't completely stop using them because they were so convenient!! Canned tomatoes no more!!  The glass jar tomatoes are not only healthier, but they are easier to store if I don't need a lot.

That same morning, I loaded up the cooler in Genevieve and set out to gather more groceries.

My first stop, and where Husband and I met up, was Sprouts.  I can buy produce pretty cheap at Sprouts and they carry some organic brands that also have no sugar or salt added. I've learned that just because it's from Sprouts, doesn't make it healthy! Organic sugar is still sugar.  =)

We took a break from shopping and went to church.  We heard an awesome sermon on community and fellowship and I'm sure you'll hear more about it soon.

Next, we went to Costco.  I like to buy bulk frozen fruits and vegetables from here. I also get household items... much cheaper than at grocery stores!  Recently I've learned they have canned salmon and tuna with no soy or salt added. Why does there need to be soy in canned tuna? For goodness' sake!

After Costco, Husband had reached his shopping limit but I kept trekking. (It worked out perfectly, because we were in separate cars and the frozen stuff needed to go home immediately. Cooler or no cooler, everything melts in Texas heat!)  Kroger was my next stop. I love their rotisserie chicken and their strawberries have never been anything but melt-in-your-mouth amazing!! They also make fresh guacamole for about the same price as buying avocados.

I was completely exhausted by the end but felt so frugal and productive! I knew I had all the ingredients I needed to have a successful week of clean, Paleo eating. That is a huge stress reliever for me! Hopefully this will become a weekly ritual and I will learn tricks to make it go faster and smoother.  Boy does it give a whole new meaning to gathering "food from afar."


humbled by His faithfulness and love,
sarah jane

1 comment:

  1. I love Coppell Farmers Market...Benjamin and I went to the Grapevine Farmers Market on Saturday...more things to can
    Way to go...enjoy!

    ReplyDelete