"so that all the peoples of the earth may know that the hand of the LORD is mighty, that you may fear the LORD your God forever” ~Joshua 4:24

Thursday, March 29, 2012

no pressure

"Oh I had the same surgery and got pregnant my next cycle!"

This seems to be the phrase I hear from everyone after explaining my recent surgery.  While this response is exciting and encouraging, it also puts a tremendous amount of pressure on me to get pregnant next month. And we all know how well stress affects fertility...

On my way to work this morning, I was thinking about this and pleading with the Lord not to let me down. And then it hit me like a ton of bricks.

A surgery to remove aliens and endometriosis does NOT make me pregnant. A doctor, gifted with special skills and knowledge, does NOT make me pregnant. Obsessing over the timing of intercourse or what positions are best does NOT make me pregnant. 

The ALMIGHTY GOD, who gives and who takes away, blesses us with new life and makes me pregnant.  "Blessed be the name of the Lord!"  (Job 1:21)

My prayer over the months to come is that I will not put my hope in a successful surgery or a talented doctor. I am grateful that the Lord can use both of these to heal our bodies. But even if I was fertile myrtle, the Lord alone chooses when we will conceive.

My step-mom once told me God looks at the big picture, where He wants our children to fit in history. 

As a teacher, I've thought about the difference that even one year can make. Each year that I have taught can be summed up in a few words. My classes seem to fit a mold: the hard working class, the funny class, the sensitive class, etc.

So maybe waiting these last two and a half years (and possibly more) puts our children in a generation of God-fearing warriors like Joshua.  Or maybe it puts them in a generation of worshipers, with a heart like David.  Maybe it puts them with a group of Moses's who will be strong leaders.  No matter where they end up, I know the waiting will not have been in vain because He has a bigger plan.

He alone gives life.

Hearing this response will stress me out no more! The enemy meant it for harm, but God meant it for good! (Genesis 50:20)


humbled by His faithfulness and love,
sarah jane

2 comments:

  1. I can totally relate! I had so many people tell me after my surgery "oh you'll get pregnant right away!" I'm slowly training myself to make sure I keep my hope in the Lord, not medical treatments and doctors. Keep up that perspective! =)

    ReplyDelete