"so that all the peoples of the earth may know that the hand of the LORD is mighty, that you may fear the LORD your God forever” ~Joshua 4:24

Friday, July 27, 2012

2012 Olympics!

I think I must be the only person on planet earth who is OBSESSED with the Olympics.

OB-SESSED!

I love the theme song. I love the athlete interviews. I love the competitions. I love the commentators. I love the winning of a gold medal by .001 seconds. I love the pride the athletes have in their own country. I love seeing how much planning, time, and effort goes into putting on an event like this. Let's just say if the Olympics ever come any where close to Dallas, I will be MIA for a minimum of one month, watching them put everything together and then attending the events.

I wait two loooong years for them to be on TV and start my countdowns at least a month before. Growing up, I always seemed to have homework, class, or other projects I was working on that kept me from staying up late and watching every single event. I remember wanting to be an "adult" so I could stay up late and not miss a thing. Well, I've finally grown up!

I finished graduate school today and am celebrating with a week of Olympic watching - homework free!  I cannot begin to express how thrilled I am!!

During summer school, I taught my students about the ancient Olympics. We studied the Greek gods, why the Olympics were started, the events that were held, the torch relay, why they ended and when they started again. We did research projects on different host countries. We watched some of the events to give them an idea of what they would be watching.  One boy commented, "Wow. She's buuuufffff!" regarding pole vaulter Elena Isinbaeva.  I agree... who doesn't love watching super fit, athletic men and women compete!  I love seeing their muscles, agility, and strength... it's beautiful and puts me in even more awe of our Creator!  We discussed good sportsmanship and even held our own mini-Olympics and made gold medals to commemorate the day!  I hope I was able to spread some Olympic spirit.  I bombed on picture taking though... epic fail.

All of my teaching on the Olympics made me even more excited about them.  So tonight I plan to watch the Opening Ceremonies (T minus 33 minutes!) while finishing an owl blanket for my classroom. I've got an herb rubbed loin tip roast baking and can't wait for them to begin. 

A co-worker emailed me these aerial views of Olympic Park. More awe inspiring. <sigh>

Olympic Stadium
Track... some of my favorite events!
How fun would it be to kayak/canoe through London!?

Lord may YOU be glorified as these athletes compete. Thank You for giving them these abilities, the discipline and the perseverance to train.  Thank You for technology that allows me to watch the Olympics from home.  

And P.S.  Can we please have Olympics in heaven someday? I'd really like to be gymnast. 


humbled by His faithfulness and love,
sarah jane

No comments:

Post a Comment